Torre del Oro
The Torre del Oro was built in 1221 by the last Almohad ruler, Abul-Ula. It had a defensive nature given that a chain stretching from the foot of the tower to the opposite riverbank could close entry to the port.
The tower has three parts, with the lower part being dodecagonal in shape, the middle section being hexagonal and the upper part being circular. The last of these elements was added by Sebastián Vander Borcht in 1760. The tower's entranceway has two bronze cannons.
Its name (with "oro" being the Spanish for "gold") is due to its exterior cladding of golden tiles or even the stores of riches it guarded in its interior brought by ships returning from America.
In the 16th century, due to its poor state, it was renovated but in the 17th century it was affected by the Lisbon earthquake in 1755, with the damage it had suffered being corrected in 1760 when the upper part was added.
Nowadays, it is home to the Naval Museum with its miniatures, recordings, sailing instruments, marine charts and interesting historical aspects.
Seville Cathedral - Giralda
The Alcázar of Seville
In the 16th century, a series of renovations was undertaken for the wedding of Charles V and and Isabella of Portugal. Highlights include the change of pillars that support the lobed arches of the Patio de las Doncellas to pairs of marble columns, the introduction of Renaissance decorative elements, the reconstruction of the upper part, the tracing of a new roof in the Salón de Carlos V, the remodelling of the Gothic palace of Alfonso X and work on the gardens.
The three main rooms were opened out to the Patio de las Doncellas: Salón de Embajadores, Salón de Carlos V and the bedrooms of the Moorish Kings (Dormitorios de los Reyes Moros).
6 kilometres away
General Archive of the Indies
Real Maestranza de Sevilla
Seville's bullring measures 63 metres in width on one axis and 58 metres on the other. Its surface is covered in clay. Its barriers are 1.4 metres high and include six coverts. The bullring also has a variety of box seats. There are fourteen access doors and amongst its spaces there is a chapel, three stables, two corrals, twenty-one bull pens, an infirmary and a slaughterhouse.
Maria Luisa Park and Plaza de España - 15-minute walk
Under the expectation of the city hosting the Ibero-American Exposition in 1914, although it was actually held in 1929, work was undertaken and new buildings and facilities were constructed.
Plaza de España
This facility was constructed by Aníbal González for the Ibero-American Exposition of 1929. This building traces a semi-circle that is two hundred metres in diameter. It was built with stone and the extensive use of ceramic tiles, and its ends are marked by two towers.
The plaza's semi-circular shape is interspersed with benches clad in tiles that depict motifs that refer to Spanish provinces.
Its central part is crowned by a fountain. Locals and visitors alike can enjoy a pond that is crossed by four bridges which represent the kingdoms of Aragon, Castille, León and Navarre.
Gastronomy - Along with the best tapas establishments
La Encarnacion Mushrooms
The project was the winner of the contest opened by the Seville City Council to carry out the rehabilitation of the square in which it is located. Its designer was the Berlin architect Jürgen Mayer. Due to its avant-garde design and tourist purpose, it has become an icon of the historic center and the city of Seville.